Sunday, August 24, 2008

Twas the Night Before Sunday

Twas the night before Sunday and all through the house,
Sarah Anne was sleeping as quite as a mouse.
The stockings were being washed in the washer with care,
In hopes that clean clothes soon would be there.

Sarah Anne was nestled all snug in her bed,
While visions of bottles danced in her head.
And Daddy in the bedroom, and I wearing a cap,
Had just settled down for a mid-morning nap.

When out on the stairs there rose such a clatter,
I sprang from my seat to see what was the matter.
Away to the stairs I flew like a flash,
I ran up the stairs like the 100 meter dash.

The light on the stairs of the freshly spilled joe,
Gave lustre of mid-day to two people below.
When what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a miniature Ben, and a Daddy full of fear.

With a little old Mommy so frightened and quick,
I knew in a moment it was more than a nick.
More rapid than eagles his horrified wife came,
And he groaned and he moaned, and called out my name.

Now Kristin! Now Caroline! Now hurry and listen!
On me! On the floor! The step I was missin'.
From the top of the stairs! To the bottom by the wall!
Now dash away! Dash away! Down the stairs I did fall.

Kristin sprang to the stairs, to her family gave a whistle.
And away she swept Caroline like a quick firing missile.
But I heard Ben exclaim, as I ran out of sight,
I think we're ok,but it gave me a fright!

In case you wondering what this poem is all about, Ben and Caroline fell down the stairs together on Saturday. His heel slipped off of the first step as be began to come down the stairs, and the two tumbled to the first landing. Ben was carrying a cup of coffee which went everywhere. When he realized they were falling, Ben grabbed on tightly to Caroline and forced himself backwards. As a result, Ben fell hard on his back. Caroline was not hurt at all, just scared. Ben managed to hold her, and she landed on top of him. We were worried for a while that he may have bruised his kidney (that's where he landed, and that's how it felt to him), but as the day progressed, he realized it was probably just a really bad bruise. It was a horrifying sound as they tumbled down the stairs. I just remember hearing Ben screaming a few "choice words", and the next then I knew I was sweeping Caroline up into my arms. I was sure we were going to need an ambulance...I have never seen Ben in that kind of pain. I thought he had broken his right leg. He got up and went to the bathroom because he thought he was going to be sick. In the end, they are both ok. Ben is still in a good amount of pain. Caroline is fine, but she refuses to walk on the landing where the coffee spilled. :) Thank goodness neither of them were seriously hurt!

1 comment:

Corie said...

I'm so glad everyone is ok! I bet that was so scary for all of you.

Hope Ben is feeling better- ouch!